Windows 10 and old Nvidia cards

Technical discussions, how to do geeky things more efficiently.

Moderators: Nanook, carl

Nanook
Posting Freak
Zodiac:

Windows 10 and old Nvidia cards

Post by Nanook » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:54 am

If you've "upgraded" to WIndows 10 and are disappointed to find out your Nvidia 7400GT or 7900GT will only do a max resolution of 1280x1024 when you had it doing 1920x1080 just fine under WIndows 7 and you go and look at the display adapter and it says only Windows Basic Display Adapter here is the trick.

Both Windows 10 and Nvidia will tell you those cards are not supported under Windows 10, but they are supported under Windows 8.1 and if you go grab the drive for Windows 8.1 it will install and function just fine in Windows 10.

I had to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to be able to troubleshoot some issues for my customers but I had an old Dell machine. I already knew I could not put a more powerful GPU in it because the power supply was just marginal for what was there and Dell in their infinite fuckism er, wisdom chose to use non-standard physical dimensions for their components including power supplies.

It seems to me that these companies have conspired to force you to buy new hardware when you really don't need it so hope this information will help some others. And as far as Linux goes, the nouveau drivers have been improved to the point where they work fine in fully GPU accelerated mode so there is no longer a need for nvidia drivers under modern Linux systems.